Central Falls, RI asked in Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: DCF shared very personal information to someone involved with my family outside of them and I didn't sign a release.

My child's mom signed a release to a service called In Home Therapy, I did not. Our DCF worker disclosed extremely personal information for no reason. The woman (Sarah) who works for IHT whom this information was told to, said they were not discussing me or anything to do with me and she just decided to tell her. I asked her if the information was relevant to the subject they were talking about and was it relevant to anything we were doing or going to do in the future, she said it had "no relevance at all" There was another woman present (Brianna) who knows this information as well.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In situations where personal information is shared by a Department of Children, Families (DCF) worker without proper consent, it's important to understand your rights and the legal framework that governs such disclosures. The sharing of your personal information without your consent could potentially be a breach of confidentiality laws, depending on the specific circumstances and the nature of the information disclosed.

You have the option to raise this issue with the DCF directly. Filing a formal complaint can initiate an internal investigation into the matter. This is often the first step in addressing any potential breach of protocol or law.

Simultaneously, you might consider consulting with a lawyer who has experience in family law or privacy law. They can provide personalized legal advice based on the details of your case and help determine if any legal action can be taken against the DCF or the individual who disclosed your information.

Remember, the specifics of the law can vary by state, and Rhode Island may have particular statutes or regulations regarding the confidentiality of information handled by DCF and related services. A legal professional can help navigate these complexities and ensure your rights are adequately protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.