Las Vegas, NV asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Nevada

Q: ADD-ON. I have looked up motions they seem very complicated. Im worried if make a error it's done.

The judge says I find you guilty sentencing is January 11th. I said right back to her I thought that I was getting probation today and avoiding going to prison? She said no! I just take the plea. I'm sick already. The threats of prison for the last several months drove me nuts. Not being able to have my lawyer help. Never meet, I offered lunch to speak about the case and I'm supposed to trust him when sentencing comes for me. He has lied about everything. I'm so freaked out. I have lost all hope in the justice system. I thought all they need to do is look at the vest cam and I'll be done, go home and it's over, But no My lawyer told me it doesn't even matter about the video they can edit it change it delete it they can do whatever they want. And what he says he saw I was guilty. I asked several times than let me see the video. Thank you for your response, sorry to rant, I never thought this could happen.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation in Nevada, feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of legal motions and the outcome of your case is understandable. If you believe your attorney has not represented you effectively, you have the right to express your concerns and seek a different legal representation.

Given the seriousness of your situation, particularly with the impending sentencing, it's advisable to act quickly. Requesting a meeting with your current attorney to discuss your case in detail and your dissatisfaction with their service is a first step. It's important to clearly communicate your concerns and the need to review evidence, like the vest cam video you mentioned.

If you still feel that your representation is inadequate, you may consider filing a motion for a new attorney. In criminal cases, defendants have the right to effective legal representation, and if this is not being provided, the court may allow a change in counsel.

Also, explore the possibility of filing a motion to reconsider or appeal, especially if you believe there has been a miscarriage of justice. This needs to be done within a specific timeframe after your conviction, so timely action is crucial.

Remember, navigating the legal system can be challenging, but you have rights that should be respected and upheld. Seeking legal advice and assistance that aligns with your needs and concerns is important in ensuring those rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.