Scappoose, OR asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Health Care Law for Oregon

Q: I was accused of being intoxicated at my pain doctors, threatening.. took pee test and alcohol test negative for alcoho.

Well i was accused of alcohol. Intoxication, told that i cannot leave till results of test come back, i got angry and said couple cuss words. After doctor accused, her reason was somebody in the office said they smell alc. On me. Then i was told they will no longer help me. And cut off my oxycodone same day, leaving me with extreme pain. And detox for prescription cut off with no bridge or offer to help me get with another provider, remember, i did nothing wrong, they had no reason no evidence other than doc assistant, told office manager that i was intoxicated.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation in Oregon, it's crucial to understand that if you were wrongfully accused of intoxication and consequently denied medical treatment, you might have grounds for a complaint. Being cut off from prescribed medication like oxycodone without proper procedure or consideration for withdrawal effects can be a serious issue.

First, consider filing a complaint with the medical facility's administration or patient advocate. Detailing your experience, especially the negative test results, is important. If you feel your rights were violated, you could also file a complaint with the Oregon Medical Board, which oversees medical practitioners' conduct.

Additionally, if you're facing health complications due to abrupt cessation of medication, seek medical attention immediately. Another healthcare provider can help manage withdrawal symptoms and offer alternative pain management.

For legal recourse, consulting an attorney experienced in healthcare law might be beneficial. They can provide guidance on potential claims for wrongful treatment or violation of patient rights.

Remember, your health and legal rights are important, and seeking professional guidance can help you navigate this challenging situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.