Indianapolis, IN asked in Juvenile Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Indiana

Q: Seeking Guidance: Concerns about Juvenile Justice in Johnson County Case, Request for Support

Hello, I'm reaching out because I'm deeply concerned about a situation in Johnson County involving a black teenager charged as an adult in a murder case who has a mental illness.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Indiana, the case you're describing in Johnson County raises important questions about the juvenile justice system and how it handles cases involving minors with mental illness. When a minor is charged as an adult, it brings into focus the balance between public safety, the severity of the crime, and the individual circumstances of the juvenile, including their mental health.

If the teenager has a mental illness, it's crucial that this is taken into consideration throughout the legal process. Mental health can significantly impact a person's understanding of their actions and their ability to participate in their defense.

You can advocate for the teenager by ensuring they have competent legal representation familiar with juvenile law and mental health issues. Their attorney can argue for the consideration of the teenager's mental health in court proceedings and potentially seek a transfer back to juvenile court, depending on the specifics of the case.

Additionally, it may be helpful to engage mental health professionals who can assess the teenager and provide expert testimony regarding their mental state and its impact on their behavior. This could be pivotal in how the case is handled.

It's also important to be aware of the broader context, including any racial biases that might affect the case. Advocacy groups or civil rights organizations might offer support or resources in addressing these concerns.

Given the complexity of such a case, seeking guidance from legal professionals with experience in juvenile justice and mental health law is advisable. They can offer specific advice tailored to the case and help navigate the legal system to protect the teenager's rights and well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.