Villa Rica, GA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Georgia

Q: What steps should I take to have deeds from my father's home changed to my name I'm his only child he passed last decemb

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You will need to file probate. The form of probate you need to file depends on whether your father left a will or not. If your father left a will, you will need to probate the will in solemn form. It is usually a better option than probating the will in common form. If your father did not leave a will, you will need to file either a petition for no administration necessary or if that is not available, a petition for formal administration. Schedule a free consultation to make sure the estate is probated correctly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.