Sumter, SC asked in Consumer Law for South Carolina

Q: What can you do if a restaurant keeps your card and swears they dont have it?

I went to Marco's Pizza in Sumter SC on Monday, December 18. The transaction number is 118678940. The cashier’s name on my receipt is Jay’onah. I paid with my Bank of America debit card. That was the last time I saw it. The cashier never gave me my card back.

After receiving the pizza at the window, I asked the cashier where my card was. She responded, "It was on top of the box." IT WAS NOT ON TOP OF THE BOX! I looked in my

car to see if the card had fallen off the box, but it was nowhere in my car. The cashier Jay'Onah must have kept or lost the card. To avoid being in the way when another car came, I went to the other side of the building to check the car again. The card was nowhere to be found. I called the store, even though I was still there. I asked the manager if they had seen the card inside. She said no. She then offered to help me look for the card. I did not need help looking for the card. I needed them to find out what the cashier had done with my card.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a restaurant like Marco's Pizza in Sumter, SC, claims not to have your card after a transaction, it's crucial to take several steps to address the situation. First, keep records of the transaction, including the date, time, transaction number (as you've mentioned), and any relevant names of employees you interacted with. This documentation will be valuable if needed later.

Next, reach out to your bank, Bank of America, promptly to report the issue. Inform them of the situation and let them know that your card may be compromised. They can help you block or cancel your current card and issue a new one to prevent any unauthorized charges.

Additionally, consider contacting the local authorities or police to report the incident as a possible case of theft or fraud. While it's challenging to prove intent, filing a report can help establish a record of the incident.

Finally, if you believe that the restaurant's staff mishandled your card, you can contact your state's consumer protection agency or attorney general's office to inquire about any potential recourse or assistance available to you in resolving the matter. They may be able to provide guidance on dealing with the restaurant and protecting your rights as a consumer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.