Attleboro, MA asked in Foreclosure for Massachusetts

Q: This is regarding a deed and a mortgage.

Signed deed over to ex, it was never submitted to the court. Through the years was not taken off loan. Ex let house go in foreclosure Got letter there is a surplus and half goes to me. Ex is saying because I signed over deed I am not entitled to it and wants to go to court. What should I do?

Thank you in advance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I see the issue as governed by whatever agreement you had with your ex regarding the house at the time of your divorce or separation. I suggest you go back to your divorce lawyer and see if anything can be done to access the surplus.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.