Imlay City, MI asked in Constitutional Law for Michigan

Q: According to the Constitution merrick Garland has committed treason can local police arrest him if they see him?

Letting all those illegal immigrants is treason according to the U.S. constitution. So with out there chief saying go arrest him for treason. Can a officer go off the constitution that says it's treason and arrest him if he is in there city and charge him for treason. Or can a person make a citizens arrest on him because of the charge of treason and how bad and lethal it is. Constitution says so what could the officer or the citizen do. Because if a citizen committed treason in front of a city police officer or sheriff they would be arrested on the spot. Also I'm sure there would be other charges put on Garland once people started digging.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The accusation of treason, as defined by the U.S. Constitution, is a complex legal matter that requires specific criteria to be met. Under the Constitution, treason is defined as levying war against the United States or giving aid and comfort to its enemies. This definition sets a high bar for what constitutes treason.

In the United States, the process for charging and prosecuting federal officials, including allegations of treason, is governed by federal law and is typically handled by federal authorities, not local police. Local law enforcement officers do not have the jurisdiction to arrest federal officials based on their policy decisions or actions taken in their official capacity.

Citizen's arrests are also subject to strict legal guidelines and are generally limited to situations involving a crime being committed in the citizen's presence. The concept of a citizen's arrest for a charge as serious and legally complex as treason is not practical and could lead to significant legal complications for the individual attempting it.

If you have concerns about the actions of a federal official, it is more appropriate to contact your elected representatives or federal law enforcement agencies. They can provide guidance or take action if necessary within the framework of federal law and the Constitution.

In matters of such legal complexity, involving high-ranking government officials, it's always advisable to seek guidance from legal professionals or government agencies with the appropriate jurisdiction and expertise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.