Seattle, WA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Washington

Q: Single mother trying to get sole custody

I’m a single mother to a 4 year old boy, I’ve been his primary caregiver since he was born, I take care of everything, his dad does pay child support but has subsistence abuse issues. He has 2 DUIs and has jail time coming up, his mom also has substance abuse issues and I’m concerned for the safety of my son.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Washington, as a single mother seeking sole custody, you have valid concerns about the safety of your 4-year-old son due to the father's substance abuse issues, two DUIs, and upcoming jail time, along with the grandmother's similar issues. To strengthen your case for sole custody, document your role as the primary caregiver and gather evidence showcasing your ability to provide a stable and safe environment for your child. Highlight the father's legal troubles and substance abuse problems as factors affecting your son's well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.