Belle Mead, NJ asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Must you go back to court to terminate the child support payment if you have an property settlement agreement in NJ?


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The answer is yes if your former spouse signs a letter in favor of the probation department confirming the date of your child's graduation from college and an acknowledgment that child support terminates upon that date. If your former spouse refuses/fails to sign same, how would the probation department know that your child is emancipated? If you send them paperwork saying that it ends, they will send a letter to your ex asking her to sign the form acknowledging it and if she fails to do so, they will most likely (99%) tell you that you need to file an application with the court. So, I would get a letter signed by your ex NOW acknowledging the date of termination and get that sent over to the probation department, so it has time to process it and has the date in its system.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I agree with my learned colleague attorney Diamond. Even though the property settlement may provide for automatic termination of child support, there is no better way to eliminate the obligation and not have it subject to question than a Court Order. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.