Belle Mead, NJ asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: To file motion to terminate child support in NJ, do you do so in the county where you divorced or where you reside now?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The county where the divorce judgment was entered.

Make sure you use the correct docket number on all pleadings filed and make sure that you send a duplicate copy of your application to your former spouse at the same time that you file with the court and make sure that you have proof of service of your application on your former spouse to provide to the court.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I respectfully disagree with my learner colleague Attorney Diamond. You can file in either the county where you reside and or where you were divorced. You are going to need to have a current 2022 tax return as well as a final W2 for 2023 if you are an employee. But if you own your own business you will have to have a 2022 tax return and a Profit & Loss Statement and a current Case Information statement. You should also consider the attorney's reviews. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.