Belle Mead, NJ asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Who pays for child's health insurance after the child is emancipated in New Jersey?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Not an uncommon question today. Most people acknowledge that even after their child graduates from high school/college and goes into the workforce, they still need assistance from their parents, including continuing to keep them on their health insurance plan until their child turns 26. So even though legally your obligation for the payment of direct child support may have ended when your child turned 22 / 23 and the child is in the workforce, you and your ex may agree that one of you is going to keep the child on one of your healthcare plans and either you pay for the cost or its voluntarily shared between the 2 of you - but a court cannot order you to do so.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.