Bellflower, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: Can my girlfriend‘s mother put my dog under her name without my consent?

Dog law

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, pets are considered personal property. This means that without your consent, it is generally not legal for someone else, including your girlfriend's mother, to claim ownership of your dog or register the dog under her name. Ownership of a pet is typically determined by who purchased the pet, whose name is on registration documents, and who provides care for the pet.

If you have evidence that you are the rightful owner, such as receipts for purchase, veterinary bills, or registration documents, these can be crucial in establishing your legal ownership. If your girlfriend's mother has already put the dog under her name without your consent, this could be considered an unauthorized action, and you might need to take legal steps to rectify the situation.

In a situation like this, it's advisable to communicate clearly and document your ownership and any communications you have with her mother regarding the dog. If the issue cannot be resolved amicably, you might need to consider legal action to assert your rights as the owner. Consulting with a lawyer who has experience in property or animal law could provide you with guidance on how to proceed. Remember, protecting your legal rights and the well-being of your pet is important in situations like this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.