Laurel, MS asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: How do I get a lawyer removed from my case if they’re retired and no longer practicing law but never withdrew?

The lawyer is no longer answering his phone or responding from emails. His information doesn’t show up on the Texas state bar website either so I have no way to reach him. This is the last thing I need to finish my divorce everything has been signed and filed but I can’t get it in front of a judge until the lawyer withdraws. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I am sorry you're going through this. I would suggest that you print off all information that you have showing how you've tried to reach rhe attorney (i.e. screenshot of blank State Bar website page, screenshot of attorney's non-active webpage, etc., documented proof that you have that the attorney retired, etc.). Then, contact the Coordinator and see if they will set a Motion to Enter hearing. Then, before presenting your signed divorce decree, see if you can present to the Judge all your evidence that this attorney is no longer practicing. Depending on the county, the Judge MAY know the attorney. If that works, the Judge may sign the decree.

If not, the only other option I can think of is to speak with another attorney and see if they will file a Substitution of Representation for the sole purpose of getting the other attorney removed and getting the decree signed.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.