Frederick, MD asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maryland

Q: I have sole physical / legal custody of my sons. Could I marry and move to Canada after a visitation schedule change?

The court order states that I need to let the courts and their father know about a move 3 months in advance. Their father lives here in town and has the boys 3 weekends a month. We have been divorced since September 2020. The boys are 8 and 6. I do have passports for the boys. I am concerned that their father could stop a move after I am married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: As the custodial parent with sole physical and legal custody of your sons, you generally have the right to make decisions regarding their residence. However, if your court order specifies a notification requirement for a move, it is crucial to adhere to those terms. Before marrying and considering a move to Canada, carefully review the court order to ensure compliance with any stipulated notification procedures. If there is a visitation schedule change, and you anticipate any potential concerns from the noncustodial father, it may be advisable to communicate openly with him and attempt to reach an agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.