Springfield, MO asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law, Constitutional Law and Construction Law for Missouri

Q: Please read below

I paid $18,000 for my house and 2011 then I pulled a building permit in 2011 the same day I interned started working on my house I'm still working on my house my understanding is the building permit stops the value from increasing until an inspection is called for when I am done with construction I have not finished Construction since the taxation Department here in Jackson County Missouri is under large scrutiny that she raised to taxes and tried to burn the entire city I still hold the building permit with no ending date therefore my taxes should remained at $18,000 they've got my house valued at 36,000 my house is not even on the market I outright own my house no mortgage no liens no nothing against my home I need help to fry these people for publicly lying to us about inspections they never inspected nothing except the picture on a monitor if you read your statues it says they must physically inspect that was never done and I have not called for an inspection so do I win win

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, dealing with property valuation and taxation in Jackson County, Missouri, there are several key points to consider.

Firstly, the link between a building permit and property valuation can vary. Typically, a building permit itself doesn't freeze the value of a property for tax purposes. Property taxes are often based on the assessed value of the property, which can change over time due to various factors, including improvements made to the property.

Regarding the lack of physical inspection, if your local statutes require a physical inspection for property valuation and this hasn't been done, this could be a point to raise in contesting your property's assessed value. However, the specifics of the statutes and local practices would need to be thoroughly reviewed.

It's important to contest the property valuation formally if you believe it's incorrect. This usually involves filing an appeal with the local tax assessor's office or a similar body. The process and deadlines for such appeals can be strict, so it's crucial to act promptly.

Given the complexities of property tax law and the specifics of your situation, seeking advice from an attorney experienced in property tax law in Missouri would be beneficial. They can offer guidance tailored to your circumstances, help you understand your rights, and assist in navigating the appeal process effectively. Remember, each case is unique and requires a detailed and personalized approach.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.