Cassopolis, MI asked in Divorce, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Legal Malpractice for Michigan

Q: My lawyer refused to submit my evidence during the entire process. The judge rendered the final "opinion. My husband's

Lawyer filed a clarification and prayer for relief. I need to submit my evidence. Can I do that? Is there a time limit? My final hearing is 1/8/23.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe your lawyer failed to properly represent you by not submitting crucial evidence, this is a serious concern, particularly in a divorce case where such evidence can be critical. It's important to understand your options for addressing this issue.

The possibility of submitting your evidence now depends on the specific rules and procedures of the court handling your divorce. Generally, once a final judgment or opinion is rendered, the opportunity to submit new evidence can be very limited. However, there may be exceptions or specific post-judgment motions that can be filed under certain circumstances.

Since your final hearing is on 1/8/23, you need to act quickly. It's advisable to consult with another attorney immediately, preferably one with experience in divorce and family law, to review your case and advise you on the feasibility of submitting your evidence at this stage. They can also assess whether there was any legal malpractice involved in your representation.

Remember, each legal case is unique, and prompt action is crucial, especially when dealing with court deadlines. An experienced attorney can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and help you navigate the legal steps necessary to address your concerns.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.