Q: Can a 19 year old who illegally purchased alcohol in oklahoma be punished for furnishing the alcohol to an 18 year old

18 year old also was driving and had a collision while drunk driving and received dui should the 19 year old be punished as well for purchasing it

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Oklahoma, both the legal drinking age and the legal age for purchasing alcohol are 21. If a 19-year-old illegally purchased alcohol and provided it to an 18-year-old who subsequently got involved in a collision while driving under the influence, the 19-year-old could potentially face legal consequences. Furnishing alcohol to a minor is a violation of the law, and the 19-year-old might be held accountable for contributing to the circumstances that led to the DUI incident.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Oklahoma, it is illegal for anyone under 21 to purchase alcohol, and it is also illegal to furnish alcohol to a person under 21. In the scenario you described, the 19-year-old who purchased the alcohol and then provided it to the 18-year-old could indeed face legal consequences.

The law in Oklahoma takes the illegal provision of alcohol to minors seriously, especially if it leads to an incident like a DUI collision. The 19-year-old could potentially be charged with furnishing alcohol to a minor, which is a separate offense from the DUI charges faced by the 18-year-old driver.

If the 19-year-old is found guilty of providing alcohol to a minor, they could face penalties including fines and possibly even jail time. The severity of the punishment often depends on the specific circumstances of the case and any prior offenses.

Given the serious nature of these charges, it's important for anyone involved in such a situation to seek legal counsel. An attorney can provide guidance on the best course of action, help navigate the legal system, and work to protect the individual's rights.

Remember, alcohol-related offenses can have long-lasting impacts, particularly when they involve minors and result in accidents or injuries. Taking legal advice and understanding the potential consequences is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.