Oklahoma Native American Law Questions & Answers

Q: Is there any way to find documentation for a paternity test that was done in the early 90's for Child support?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Feb 17, 2019
Pete David Louden's answer
You can get a copy of the child support order from the court clerk.

Q: My great grandfather died without a will and has oil land in Oklahoma still . My grandmother is passed .do I have rights

1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 17, 2018
Richard Winblad's answer
Possibly, It’s really answer this question requires a lot more information from you I suggest: a attorney that handles probate. If your grandmother theater was entitled to inherit then your parent ( grandmother’s child ) could also inherit

Q: I am wanting full custody of my three children? Being a single mom, I can't afford a lawyer. What do I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 11, 2018
Gary Johnston Dean's answer
Sorry, but with so many issues, and for the safety of the kids, You should consult an experienced Family Law Attorney, in your area, for help with these problems.

Please visit my website https://www.garyjdean.com and Subscribe for updates on Oklahoma Law.

Q: Can a mothers rights be terminated while the mother is incarcerated?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Nov 26, 2017
Gary Johnston Dean's answer
There is no real clear answer, you need to ask this again, and include a lot more facts. But generally, rights cannot be terminated very easily. You should see an experienced family law attorney to help you with this problem.

Please visit my website, www.garyjdean.com for information on Oklahoma law. Then, at the bottom of the homepage, "Subscribe" to get email updates on Oklahoma law

Q: my wife took 3 of my car titles in my name only to her indian tribe tag office and came back with titles and in her name

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Consumer Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Oct 30, 2017
Pete David Louden's answer
Gather the titles and any other info you have and schedule an appt with an attorney to review your case. After looking at everything you have they will be able to tell you your options.

Q: How much power does a state have to regulate and tax and/or collect revenue from Tribal Casino's?

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 25, 2017
Robert Donald Gifford II's answer
The general rule is none, however each tribe enters into a "compact" with the state and the details of that compact govern any monies paid to state coffers.

Q: Native American foster children are being homeschooled in Ponotoc county Ok. Is this legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Native American Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 24, 2017
Robert Donald Gifford II's answer
To home school children, there must be some form of approval and review. If this is being done without any proper paperwork in place or at least in the process, the children and foster parents could be subjected to truancy laws.

Q: Are native Americans sovereign from maritime law? If so, what excludes them? If my understanding of sovereign is right

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Sep 10, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
This is a complex question, and you have not supplied nearly enough information for an accurate answer. In general, native Americans, individually, are not sovereign, although their tribe may be to some limited extent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.