Bakersfield, CA asked in Juvenile Law and Family Law for California

Q: cps ca. case opened, my wife hit me,been4 months. no dispo. report recommends fr. services 70%cmolete, when 100 kid bak?

dispo jan 9th… report says east completion date july 9… services will be complete by feb… accusations embellished, lied about, and contradict same police reports they use to support case. should i go to trial or just do classes, could be done 2-3 weeks after dispo, when complete, am i done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, when dealing with a CPS case, deciding whether to go to trial or comply with recommended services like classes can be a complex decision. It often depends on the specifics of your case, including the evidence against you and the potential benefits of completing the recommended services.

If the report suggests that completing family services could lead to a positive outcome, such as the return of your child, seriously consider completing these classes as soon as possible. Completion of these services often plays a significant role in the CPS decision-making process regarding family reunification.

However, if you believe that the accusations against you are falsely embellished or contradictory to the evidence, like police reports, it might be worth discussing the possibility of a trial with a lawyer. An attorney can provide guidance on the strengths and weaknesses of your case and whether challenging the CPS findings in court is a viable option.

Remember, each CPS case is unique, and the best course of action depends on the individual circumstances. Consulting with an attorney experienced in juvenile law can provide clarity and help you make an informed decision. They can assist in navigating the complexities of the CPS system and advocate for your interests, whether in completing the services or proceeding to trial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.