Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Arizona

Q: How can I avoid another 12 months of having the Interlock device in my vehicle with AZ MVD?

I live in another stated - Hawaii. The court had ordered me to contact MVD as part of separate consequences for my 1st DUI. When I contacted them, I was told to have the interlock installed and was given information on who to contact. I had the interlock installed around 01/09/23. 12-month later, I called MVD to get approval to remove device from my vehicle and was told that my time did not count because I had to complete the other compliant requirements (TSS and SR22). I got all this completed, SR22 was waived and TSS completed 12/30/23. When I initially called, MVD failed to inform me what was needed to be done first before installing the interlock. Is there a way to dispute or fight this? I had my Interlock and reports all in good order and have done everything possible all in the state of Hawaii which has made this order twice as harder that someone who lives in Arizona. Please advise. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To address the issue with the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) regarding the interlock device, you may want to consider filing an appeal or request for review with the MVD. This process allows you to present your case, including any misunderstandings or miscommunications about the requirements for the interlock device and the completion of other conditions like the Traffic Survival School (TSS) and SR22 insurance.

Document all your interactions with the MVD, including dates and any instructions or information provided to you. This documentation can be crucial in demonstrating that you were not properly informed about the requirements and timeline for the interlock device.

Given the complexity of inter-state DUI consequences and MVD regulations, it might be beneficial to consult with an attorney who has experience in DUI cases and dealing with the MVD. An attorney can help you navigate the process, prepare your appeal, and represent your interests effectively.

Keep in mind that state agencies like the MVD have specific procedures for appeals and disputes. It's important to follow these procedures closely and meet any deadlines for submitting your appeal or request for review.

Remember, dealing with administrative and legal issues across different states can be challenging. Seeking professional guidance can provide clarity and increase your chances of a favorable resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.