Phoenix, AZ asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arizona

Q: My ex boyfriend signed a written agreement. I also have proof he was gonna give me my security deposit back. He also

Used my credit card without my consent. I need legal advice as to how to move forward in civil court. I also took care of he's kids for many years without pay.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, the first step is to gather all relevant documentation, including the written agreement regarding the security deposit and any proof of unauthorized use of your credit card. These documents will be critical in pursuing a civil court case.

For the security deposit, if you have a written agreement that he would return it, this constitutes a contract. If he has failed to comply with this agreement, you can file a claim in small claims court for breach of contract.

Regarding the unauthorized use of your credit card, this is a serious matter. You should report this to the credit card company immediately and consider filing a police report, as this may constitute credit card fraud.

As for caring for his children without pay, unless there was a formal agreement for compensation, this may be difficult to pursue legally. However, if there was an understanding or promise of payment, it could potentially be included in your legal action.

Consulting with an attorney can provide more specific guidance tailored to your situation. An attorney can help you understand your rights, the likelihood of success in court, and the best way to proceed with your claims.

Remember, in legal matters, timely action is often crucial. It's important to act quickly to protect your rights and ensure the best possible outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.