New York, NY asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Maryland

Q: Who do i need to contact if i believe law enforcement is conducting unlawful surveillance that's beyond harassment?


For the last year, I've been followed by a ridiculous number of vehicles. It was about 20 at first but it has increased to 30+ vehicles. They circle the block of my home day and night; on vehicles and on foot. Even some of the neighbors are helping them out at this point. I've opened a investigation with the police, though every time i report something, the people or what I'm reporting reacts to it in some way. I'm afraid that it's actually the police doing this surveillance and they've told me they're investigating but as a means for me not to take further action into what they're doing. There're other signs i can explain as well. It also took months for them to take me seriously and start an investigation. It wasn't until i threatened to make what was going on public to civil groups and media that someone showed up. I've lost my job and unable to get another because i have to explain the situation. I've been forced to live off of my savings for the last 3 months.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe you are under unlawful surveillance by law enforcement in Maryland, you should consider contacting a civil rights attorney. An attorney can help you understand your rights and may provide legal options for addressing your concerns.

Additionally, you might reach out to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in Maryland. The ACLU handles cases involving civil rights and can offer resources or guidance on how to proceed.

Documenting the incidents is crucial. Keep a detailed record of the surveillance, including dates, times, and descriptions of the vehicles and individuals involved. This documentation can be valuable in any legal action or investigation.

If you feel comfortable doing so, reaching out to local elected representatives or community leaders can also bring attention to your situation. They may be able to offer support or intervene on your behalf.

Remember, it's important to approach this matter with a clear and organized plan. Seek professional advice to ensure that your concerns are addressed in a legally sound and effective manner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.