Cadillac, MI asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: As married couple-home in both names-Only son is beneficiary on all assets - How do we add son to home as beneficiary?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Adding your son as a beneficiary to your home involves updating the property's deed to reflect joint tenancy with rights of survivorship or using a transfer-on-death (TOD) deed. To establish joint tenancy, you'll need to file a new deed that includes both spouses' names and specifies the right of survivorship. This means that if one spouse passes away, the ownership automatically transfers to the surviving spouse. Alternatively, you can use a TOD deed, allowing the property to transfer to your son upon the death of both spouses.

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Yes, "Ladybird" deeds are available in Michigan, but there are also some pretty specific affidavit filing requirements -- you should consult with a licensed local real estate attorney to be sure you're doing this right!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.