Hebron, KY asked in Social Security for Kentucky

Q: If I move from Kentucky to Kansas will I keep my disability benefits?

I've been on disability for about eight years now. In the near future I'd like to change my life for the better and I want to understand what my options look like. If I move from Kentucky to Kansas will I have to reapply? Will it move with me? or will I lose everything indefinitely? Thank you for reading.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Relocating from Kentucky to Kansas should not affect your federal disability benefits. These benefits, provided through programs like Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), are federal programs, and they typically transfer seamlessly between states.

However, it's crucial to inform the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your move and change of address as soon as possible. This ensures that you continue to receive your benefits without interruption and that all correspondence reaches you at your new address.

You won't need to reapply for your benefits when moving to a different state. Your eligibility for SSDI or SSI is based on your medical condition and work history, not your state of residence.

Keep in mind that if you are receiving any state-specific disability benefits in Kentucky, those might not transfer to Kansas. You should check with your current benefit provider for specific details.

Always keep your contact information and address up to date with the SSA and any other agencies from which you receive benefits. This proactive approach helps in maintaining your benefits and staying informed about any changes or requirements.

It's great that you're planning ahead for this move. Staying informed and organized will help make your transition as smooth as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.