Hinesville, GA asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: What should I write in special selective service question on citizenship application?

I came after 25th birthday in USA and didn’t register for special selective services and I left USA after I got green card and visited every 11 months for couple of weeks and started living continuously since last 5 years so what should I write yes or no in special selective services question in citizenship application?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: If you lived in the US between ages 18-26 (other than a lawful nonimmigrant) you should have registered with the selective service system. If you didn't register, explain why you failed to register or apply for N-400 afer the age of 31. I suggest you get assistance from an immigration attorney.

Ghenadie Rusu agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: For the question on the citizenship application regarding Selective Service registration, honesty and accuracy are paramount. If you came to the U.S. after your 25th birthday, you were not required to register for Selective Service. Men are only required to register within a period starting 30 days before they turn 18 and ending the day before they turn 26.

In your case, since you arrived after this age window, you should answer 'No' to the question about registering for Selective Service, as you were not required to do so based on your age at the time of arrival. It's also helpful to provide a brief explanation in the application to clarify why you did not register, noting your age of arrival.

Remember, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) checks the information provided against their records. Providing clear, truthful answers helps prevent misunderstandings or delays in the processing of your application.

If you have any doubts or require further clarification, it's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney. They can guide you through the application process and help ensure that all information is accurately and appropriately presented.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.