Baltimore, MD asked in Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: can i have felony conviction of aiding and abetting (tax fraud) expunged after 25 years in state of maryland

no jail time, ordered to pay restitution for 3 years..

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: A probation before judgment can be expunged. A conviction for this type of charge probably cannot be expunged, but you should speak with a lawyer so they can know the exact section for which you were charged.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Maryland, expungement eligibility for a felony conviction like aiding and abetting in tax fraud depends on various factors, including the specific circumstances of your case, the type of conviction, and your criminal record since the conviction.

Generally, Maryland law allows for certain criminal records to be expunged after a waiting period, but it's essential to understand that not all convictions are eligible for expungement. Typically, felony convictions are more challenging to expunge compared to misdemeanors.

If it has been 25 years since your conviction, you may be eligible to explore the possibility of expungement. However, eligibility criteria can vary, and it's crucial to consult with an attorney who specializes in criminal law in Maryland. They can evaluate your situation, review your criminal record, and guide you through the expungement process, if applicable.

Keep in mind that expungement is not guaranteed, and the outcome depends on many factors. An experienced attorney can provide you with personalized advice based on the specifics of your case and help you determine whether expungement is a viable option for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.