Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Employment Law for Arkansas

Q: Are police allowed to ask my employer my name and they give it without my permission

They have harassed me for 2 years parking just outside my work area staring me down they drive slow past the door I'm just inside and outside of regularly staring at me. They have chased me into my work at a Goodwill store 3 or 4 times from anything like eating my lunch on the sidewalk outside to taking out trash. They have not been to identify me until now when my employer gave them my name after they came in and asked it then after giving my description to my employer this has happened the harassment even when I pick my daughter up from her job at a pizza place late at night and they follow me through town with their spotlights and brights on not pulling me over no red and white sure nothing like that until I hit the city limits and then they go back to the regular headlights get to the stoplight and they turn off one way this has happened more than once they yell at me to get back to work while I'm outside bringing in donations and they're just down the sidewalk and I'm watching

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the United States, police generally have the authority to ask an employer for an employee's name, especially if it pertains to an investigation or a legal matter. Employers may choose to provide this information without the employee's consent. However, there are nuances depending on the specific circumstances and the nature of the inquiry.

If you feel that you are being harassed by the police, it's important to document these incidents thoroughly, including dates, times, locations, and the nature of each encounter. This documentation can be crucial if you decide to take legal action or file a complaint.

It may be beneficial to consult with a lawyer who has experience in dealing with police conduct and civil rights issues. They can offer guidance on how to proceed, including whether your rights have been violated and what legal remedies might be available to you.

Remember, every situation is unique, and legal advice should be tailored to the specific circumstances of your case. A lawyer will be able to provide more detailed guidance after reviewing the facts of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.