Dallas, TX asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims and Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: Civil suit for car repairs, where do I turn?

Put my car in a repair shop I never used before, They threw unnecessary parts into, just for my car's engine light to turn on 3 mins into getting it home, the car was driving rough and making weird buzzing noise. Tire pressure light was on as well. 3 days of having the car sit until the next business day. Went to drive the car back to repair shop it wouldn't start. Called repair shop, it was towed back over there just to tell me I need to spend another 600 dollars for a repair. Now I'm out of 1300$ and my vehicle is left with the same I put it in the shop for a crank/no start.

I initially asked for a diagnostic to be done.

No diagnostic was done just a let start here and see if it this, I was uncomfortable with that type of guessing. They assured me it was diagnosed and that the crankshaft sensor and pigtail was the problem they could see, they change it it ran for 5 mins broke down, he then said oh your compressor locked up changed that just for it to break down again after paying.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Texas, if you believe a repair shop has performed inadequate or unnecessary repairs on your vehicle, you have the right to seek legal recourse. The first step is often to try and resolve the issue directly with the repair shop. If they are unresponsive or unwilling to rectify the situation, you can consider taking legal action.

For a claim involving $1,300, small claims court could be an appropriate venue. Small claims courts in Texas handle disputes involving up to $20,000. These courts are designed to be more accessible and less formal, allowing individuals to represent themselves without an attorney.

Before filing a claim, gather all relevant documentation, such as receipts, repair records, and any correspondence with the repair shop. This evidence will be crucial in supporting your case. You may also want to get a second opinion from another mechanic to corroborate the issues with the repairs.

Remember, each case is unique, and the best course of action can depend on the specific details of your situation. Consulting with a lawyer who has experience in consumer law can provide you with personalized advice and help you understand your legal options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.