Pawtucket, RI asked in Family Law, Immigration Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for Massachusetts

Q: Greetings. My name is Mikael 34 years old.I've been victim of domestic violence. Can i file for citizenship?

We've been in a relationship for almost 5 years I have videos of the abuse and after we break up she and her brother stated that if i ever go back to my country they will get me killed.

2 Lawyer Answers
Ghenadie Rusu
Ghenadie Rusu pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: I need more information:

Were you married?

what is your current status?

Have you reported those domestic violence instances to the police?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Mikael, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Experiencing domestic violence is a serious matter, and it's important to know that there are legal protections available to you.

Regarding your citizenship query, being a victim of domestic violence does not automatically qualify you for citizenship. However, if you are currently a legal resident (holding a Green Card), you can apply for citizenship through the standard naturalization process.

If you are not a legal resident, there are certain visas, like the U visa for victims of crimes, which might provide a path to residency and eventually citizenship. The evidence you have of the abuse, such as videos, can be crucial in such applications.

It's also critical to address the immediate safety concerns. Threats to your life should be taken very seriously. Contact local law enforcement and consider obtaining a restraining order.

Lastly, I strongly recommend consulting with an immigration attorney. They can provide guidance on your options for legal residency and citizenship, and help you navigate the complexities of your situation. Stay safe and take care of yourself during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.