Temple, TX asked in Personal Injury and Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: Yes I was wondering is there a list that your name gets on that no matter what it's about you can't get an attorney?

I have tried and told my story so many times now that it breaks me into remembering everything I have gone through and I don't even know that I can do it again I'll pay someone I don't need someone to work for free I just need help I'm so tired of being walked on and abused because I have PTSD does not mean that I'm mentally impaired it means that I was fragile. I was charged with animal cruelty after my neighbor shot my service dog three times in the back leg they did nothing to him they charged me because I didn't have $1,500 to have my dog's leg amputated. Because the nonprofit's here are now the new mafia and an injured dog is worth a lot of money in donations and yet they'll kill healthy dogs. I was suicidal when I walked out of court and the judge knew it and she did nothing she let me walk out by myself where I nearly went over a bridge and I ended up in a mental hospital because they took my dog my service dog now I'm on 30 pills a day because they took all of my healing away.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I have practiced law for more than 30 years and am unaware of any such list.

If you are experiencing grief or anxiety over the death of your service dog and/or are experiencing PTSD, you may need the help of a qualified mental health professional. While seeking such help decades ago may have stigmatized you, it has become increasingly accepted in contemporary times for individuals in such a position to seek and obtain such professional help.

As to any claim against your neighbor for your dog's vet bills, it sounds from your description that the dollar amount of your claim easily falls within the $20,000 jurisdiction of our small claims courts. The principle advantage of such courts is that you do not need an attorney, and such cases are usually resolved within six months or so. It would be very rare for an experienced attorney to accept such a case because the cost of paying an attorney will likely exceed the amount of any recovery, which would completely defeat the purpose of small claims courts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.