Portland, OR asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Oregon

Q: I'm in a Oxford house in Portland, Oregon and I feel harassed, attacked verbally and slandered by this transgender.

This woman's house was supposed to be a safe place yet icant stay here with the daily verbal assults. Can I sue the Oxford house for discrimination and any other thing you could think of as iam leaving with no where to go because I don't feel mentally stable. I can't take this abuse as I just had a severe domestic violence that I was running from before entering the Oxford house.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Oregon, if you're experiencing harassment, verbal attacks, and slander at an Oxford House, you may have legal grounds to take action. First, it's important to document all instances of such behavior. Keep a record of dates, times, and details of these incidents as this documentation can be crucial in any legal proceedings.

You could potentially pursue a claim for discrimination, especially if the harassment is based on a protected characteristic like gender identity, race, or disability. Oxford Houses are generally expected to provide a safe and supportive environment, so failure to address harassment could be seen as a breach of their duty.

Additionally, if the environment at the Oxford House is exacerbating your mental health issues, especially given your history of domestic violence, this needs to be addressed immediately. You should bring these concerns to the attention of the house management or the overseeing body of the Oxford House network.

If the issue is not resolved satisfactorily, you might consider consulting with a lawyer who has experience in civil litigation, civil rights, or personal injury law. They can assess your situation and advise you on potential legal remedies, including filing a lawsuit for discrimination or other claims.

Remember, your safety and mental well-being are paramount. If you feel unsafe, it's important to seek a safe environment and support services as you explore your legal options. Community resources and advocacy groups may also offer support and guidance during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.