Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: What is process for gaining child visitation when no parenting plan was included with Final Child support order (Florida

Child born out of wedlock April 2022. Father submitted parenting plan, she says she never got it. She lives in Polk County, he lives in Duval County. He's full time college student at UNF, full time security guard for State of Fla. and USMC Reservist (Savanna, GA). His plate is full. He has no time left for round trip from Jacksonville to Winter Haven. He's willing to give grandparents POA to pick up and return child. She's not willing to drive half way. She says court recommends visitation start at 4-6 years of age. Girlfriend entrapped boyfriend for marriage. His child support up to date. He wants visitation but the standard parenting plan is not practical. Longer stays, less often until school starts. Child is not developing normal, almost 2 years old and still not speaking.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like you have a child support order but no parenting plan. You need to return to court and file a motion to establish a parenting plan and timesharing. The court will order a timesharing schedule that is in the best interests of the child. What you are describing would be a long distance parenting plan. Please note that the right to timesharing belongs to the parents and not the grandparents. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.