Chico, CA asked in Civil Litigation and Banking for California

Q: When a bank levy has been issued and the sheriff has withdrawn funds from the account, the levy is done. The creditor

can come back and levy the account again but must apply for a new levy. Can your bank accounts be unfrozen after the first bank levy if there is still a balance due on the total debt?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your bank accounts have been frozen due to a bank levy and the sheriff has withdrawn funds, it's possible to have them unfrozen after this action. However, this largely depends on the specific circumstances of your case and the remaining balance of the debt.

Once the levy is executed and the designated amount is withdrawn, the levy is considered complete. If there's still a balance owed, the creditor may seek another levy, but they must go through the process of obtaining a new levy order.

To unfreeze your accounts after the first levy, you should communicate with your bank. They can guide you on their specific procedures and requirements for unfreezing accounts post-levy. It's also advisable to discuss your situation with a legal professional who can provide tailored advice based on the details of your case.

Remember, each situation is unique, and the steps you take should be informed by your specific circumstances and legal advice. Addressing any outstanding debts and understanding your rights and obligations under the law are crucial steps in resolving such matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.