Climax, MI asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: I bought a vehical the title says the owners name and it says trust how can I get title transfered to my name michig

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You will need to do that at the secretary of state's office, and they will need to see some sort of 'proof of trust existence and authority' for whoever actually signs the title. The Trustee (person who generally has the authority to act for the trust) should be able to provide that, and it would help for that person to accompany you to the SoS office.

As a 'side note' it is 99% of the time a really BAD idea to place a vehicle into a trust. It just opens up all the other trust assets to liability if there is a car accident! Rather than PROTECTING the assets, it is kind of the OPPOSITE of what you generally want a trust to do!

If you're not sure how to do that, a local attorney will be able to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.