Rahway, NJ asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Constitutional Law for New Jersey

Q: Can the father of his pregnant minor daughter put the daughter's boyfriend on child support when the baby is born?

I'm currently 17 years old and I recently told my father I was pregnant. He's pushing abortion pretty hard but that's not my choice. The father of the baby is very involved and is currently 18. My father has given me an ultimatum: if I don't abort the baby, I'm to not be in the house but if I do, I can stay. That being said, I'm choosing to have the baby still but now he's telling me he's going to claim the baby when it's born and eventually put my boyfriend on child support when that's not even in our plan since we want to raise the child together. I will be 18 when the baby is born and my boyfriend will be 19. I would like some clarification to know if this is a possibility or not; I would also like resources as well.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's important to understand that parental rights and responsibilities primarily rest with the biological parents of the child, not the grandparents. Once your baby is born, you and your boyfriend, as the biological parents, are the primary individuals responsible for the child's care and support.

Your father, as a grandparent, does not have the legal authority to claim your baby and cannot legally compel your boyfriend to pay child support. Child support obligations are determined by the courts and are typically the responsibility of the non-custodial parent, which in this case, would be either you or the baby's father if you were not living together.

However, given your age and circumstances, it might be beneficial to seek guidance from legal professionals or family services in your area. They can offer you more specific advice and help you understand your rights and options as a young parent. It's also important to consider discussing your plans and intentions with your boyfriend and family to find the best path forward for you and your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.