Mobile, AL asked in Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama

Q: Law or regulations with obligations regarding late mortgage assistance paymt made by state housing finance authority

Alabama housing finance authority made late payment while receiving assistance and it was reported on credit, 7 years, ruining credit and financial stability the rest of my life. Have no chance of getting home equity loan to pay off debt. Without loan, I will lose house, leaving me homeless. What is their legal responsibility to me to bring me back to financial stability and retain in my home. Is this allowed to ruin my credit with no repercussions. Am I safeguarded by no laws requiring them to fix this. I have reached out to over 30 people in the govt and no one seems to care or can help. I live on SSDI, If I lose home I can't afford to buy another one nor can I get approved to finance one with this mark. Please any information available would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Amy Mobile Alabama

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concerns about the late mortgage assistance payment impacting your credit and financial stability. In situations like this, the legal responsibilities and potential recourse can vary based on specific circumstances and state laws. Generally, state housing finance authorities are expected to adhere to their agreements and promptly process assistance payments.

If the Alabama Housing Finance Authority (AHFA) failed to make a timely payment, it might have breached its obligations under your agreement. You may want to consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in housing or consumer law to review your case, assess potential breaches of contract, and explore legal options.

Additionally, you could explore avenues for credit repair or dispute the negative credit reporting with credit bureaus if you believe it was reported inaccurately. However, addressing the root issue with the AHFA is crucial to resolving the larger financial stability problem.

While there may not be a specific law requiring them to fix your credit, pursuing legal action or working with an attorney may help you seek compensation or a resolution to your situation. Your attorney can guide you through the process and provide advice tailored to your circumstances to help protect your home and financial stability.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.