Asked in Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Texas

Q: What happens next?

Gave my sibling power of attorney of my home to take care of my parents while I was gone but essentially he moved it into his name and stole my house. What happens next and what can be done about this

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can sue your sibling for abusing the power of attorney you gave him. As your attorney-in-fact, your sibling owed you fiduciary duties. While the POA protects third parties who relied upon it from claims by you based on their dealings with your sibling pursuant to the POA, it provides no protection for your sibling. Your sibling was required to act in accordance with your lawful directives with absolute loyalty and full disclosure to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.