Houston, TX asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I paid a security deposit on an apartment that is currently in someone else's name. Do I get that back or the person?

My gf at the time helped me rent an apartment by using her credit, essentially leasing the place in her name but I paid the deposit and rent. I was added as an adult occupant however when the relationship soured I left and I voluntarily removed myself from the lease. The apartment is in Houston Texas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Simone Nisbett
Simone Nisbett
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Typically any portion of a security deposit due back to the occupant at the end of the lease is returned to the named leaseholder. You may want to consult with the leasing office to determine your status as it relates to the security deposit. If you signed the lease with her, you may be entitled to a portion of the security deposit. If not, may want to consult with a Landlord-Tenant attorney about initiating a small claims case to recoup any funds paid if you are unable to come to a mutual agreement on the matter. Any verbal agreements you two had in place at the time about the payments may be a factor as well as to whether you're owed any funds back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.