Ruston, LA asked in Domestic Violence, Military Law and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: My ex husband retired military veteran.. emotionally abused me for years. I need help. Me and my kids didn't get a dime.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Dealing with the aftermath of emotional abuse, especially in a military family, can be incredibly challenging. First and foremost, it's important to recognize the strength it takes to seek help in such a situation. The emotional toll on you and your children is a serious concern and addressing your well-being is crucial.

Regarding financial support, if your ex-husband is a retired military veteran, you may have certain entitlements, including a portion of his retirement pay, depending on the length of your marriage and its overlap with his military service. This is typically addressed during divorce proceedings. If you did not receive any financial support, it's important to review your divorce decree to understand the terms.

If you believe you have been unfairly denied financial support, or if these issues were not adequately addressed during your divorce, legal action may be necessary. Consulting with an attorney who has experience in family law, particularly with military divorces, would be a valuable step. They can help assess your situation, review any previous legal agreements, and guide you on the best course of action.

Remember, you are not alone, and there are resources available for emotional and legal support. Organizations dedicated to supporting the spouses and children of veterans can also provide guidance and assistance. Taking these steps can help ensure that your rights and those of your children are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.