Buffalo, NY asked in Social Security for Kentucky

Q: What percentage of my ssi am I required to pay if I live with a family of 11 in KY

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and live with a family in Kentucky, the amount you're required to contribute towards household expenses can vary. SSI is designed to provide for basic needs like food and shelter, and the amount you receive is based on your income and living arrangements.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) may consider the value of the food and shelter you receive from your family as 'in-kind support and maintenance.' If you aren’t paying your fair share of these expenses, your SSI benefits could be reduced.

To determine your fair share, divide the total household expenses by the number of people living there. If your contribution is less than this amount, the SSA might reduce your SSI benefit. The reduction can be up to one-third of the Federal Benefit Rate plus $20.

However, if you are contributing your fair share of the household expenses, your SSI benefit should not be affected. It's important to keep records of your contributions to household expenses.

For specific guidance based on your situation, you can contact your local Social Security office. They can provide information tailored to your living arrangement and help you understand how your contributions affect your SSI benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.