Buffalo, NY asked in Social Security for Kentucky

Q: What percentage of my ssi do I have to pay for living expenses if I live with a family of 11 in Kentucky

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The amount you need to pay for living expenses from your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits while living with a family in Kentucky varies based on several factors. SSI is designed to help cover basic needs like food, clothing, and shelter. When you live with others, the Social Security Administration (SSA) may consider whether you are receiving in-kind support and maintenance (ISM).

If you are receiving food and shelter from your family without paying your fair share, the SSA could reduce your SSI benefits. This reduction is based on the presumption that these contributions lower your overall living expenses. The exact percentage of your SSI that should go towards living expenses isn't fixed and depends on your specific living arrangement and the amount of support you receive.

To determine your fair share of expenses, divide the total household expenses by the number of people living in the home. If your contribution is less than this amount, your SSI benefits may be reduced. The best approach to understand how your living situation affects your SSI benefits is to contact your local Social Security office. They can provide personalized information based on your circumstances. Remember, every situation is unique, and getting accurate advice based on your specific details is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.