Ashland, KY asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Kentucky

Q: How would I file a modification for custody in Kentucky when both parties are in agreement without a lawyer.

The court house said they don’t have specific paper work and I can file with fee’s without a layer but I better know how to do it right in which I have no idea and there’s no way I can afford a lawyer and there is no legal aid for this.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Kentucky, if both parties are in agreement to modify custody, you may be able to proceed without a lawyer. To initiate the process, you typically need to file a motion or petition with the family court that issued the original custody order. While the courthouse may not provide specific forms, you can draft a written agreement outlining the proposed changes and file it with the court. It's advisable to include details such as the reason for the modification and how it serves the child's best interests. Ensure both parties sign the agreement. Additionally, you may want to check with the court clerk or family court facilitator for any specific requirements or forms that may aid the process. Keep in mind that even when parties agree, it's important to follow the legal process correctly to ensure the modification is legally recognized.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Simply write your agreement with the case number and style on it, both of you sign it, then file it with the Court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.