Pittsfield, MA asked in Civil Litigation for Massachusetts

Q: I needed the services of a lawyer in April 2018. I met with the lawyer, had about 2 shorts phone consultations too.

He told me it will cost $1000. He represented me in court and I paid him cash the same day. He didn’t give me a receipt. He recently merged with another law firm and today I received a bill for $1000. This bill came after nearly 6 years! What now, I paid him cash and he did not give me a receipt and there was NO communication for nearly 6 years!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In a situation like this, it's important to first gather any evidence you have of the payment, such as bank withdrawal records around the time of the payment. Although you don't have a receipt, this evidence might help establish that you made the payment.

Next, reach out to the attorney or the new law firm to discuss the bill. It's possible there has been a misunderstanding or an administrative error given the merger. Explain your position clearly and provide any evidence you have. It's often helpful to handle such disputes amicably and professionally.

The statute of limitations on the collection of that bill has likely expired.

If the issue isn't resolved through direct communication, consider seeking advice from another attorney. They can provide guidance on how to proceed, especially if there is a dispute over the payment. Remember, it's key to approach this situation calmly and methodically to find a resolution.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.