Mount Orab, OH asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: If my biological aunt continuously assaults me and threatens me, can I get a restraining order, in Ohio?

I am a minor at 15 years old(female) my aunt has continuously hit me, smacked me, and grabbed me roughly throughout my whole life. Today it got really bad and she almost choked me out and she had thrown me to the ground a few times. I am very skinny and weak and I can't do much when it comes to defending myself. She has also threatened to "beat the crap" out of me and I think it's gone too far. Me and her have never gotten along but I've never raised a hand or anything to her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The answer depends on whether or not you reside with this aunt. If so, you may wish to speak with the child protective the service agency in your county. If not, you need to have a discussion with your parents, if they will not take action you may which to file an incident report with the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.