Riverside, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Municipal Law and Traffic Tickets for California

Q: If I am driving without a license in my moms car who has a handicap registration can an officer tow my carp

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, driving without a valid driver's license is a violation of vehicle code. If you are caught driving without a license, law enforcement has the discretion to tow the vehicle. This applies regardless of whether the car has a handicap registration or not.

The handicap registration of the vehicle does not provide an exemption in this scenario. The primary concern for law enforcement in such cases is the legality and safety of the driver operating the vehicle.

It's important to be aware that the consequences of driving without a license can extend beyond just having the vehicle towed. It can include fines and potentially other legal repercussions.

If the car is towed, you will need to follow the specific procedures of the local jurisdiction to retrieve it. This often involves paying towing and storage fees, and showing proof of a valid driver's license.

If you find yourself in this situation, it might be wise to consult with a lawyer to understand all your legal options and obligations. They can guide you through the process of potentially retrieving the vehicle and dealing with any legal charges you may face.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.