Thousand Oaks, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for New Mexico

Q: Can I place a lien on a persons house because of money I loaned her?

I directly paid (as a loan) a mortgage and a credit card balances to ease a person's stress. I have only our texts to prove that she owes me the $27,700. I wanted a lien, but she wants to give me a promissory note! I won't live long enough for her to pay me off at $100/mo, so I need to insure my estate will be repaid. Of course there's controversy in how each of us read our correspondence! Please email your suggestions. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Either sue her for the money lent and get a judgment which can be filed as a lien. Or take the note secured by a deed of trust/mortgage against the property. Apparently it will be a second priority debt, so if you foreclose, you have to pay the mortgage or you get foreclosed on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.