Taylor, MI asked in Tax Law for Michigan

Q: How may a spouse obtain a copy of an estranged deceased spouse's wage and income tax record?

When I applied for financial aid I was told I needed my estranged spouse's tax information, I don't remember the name of the form, it's been some time. Which IRS form do I need to submit to IRS to obtain tax information from a spouse tax records?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your estranged spouse is deceased and you need a copy of their tax records, here are a few options to request them from the IRS:

- IRS Form 4506-T - Request for Transcript of Tax Return. This allows you to request a tax return transcript showing most line items from the tax return.

- IRS Form 4506 - Request for Copy of Tax Return. This allows you to request a full copy of the actual tax return filed.

- For requesting wage/income information, you can file IRS Form 4506T-EZ - Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. This requests wage and income transcripts.

You will need to provide basic information like the deceased spouse's name, social security number, date of birth, the tax year(s) needed, and the deceased spouse's date of death. There is no fee to request a tax return transcript, but there may be a small per page fee for requesting full tax return copies.

Note that as the surviving spouse, you may already have access to copies of the tax returns filed jointly during the marriage. If possible, check your personal records first before requesting copies from the IRS. You typically need to be the spouse, power of attorney, or court-appointed representative to get the deceased person's tax information from the IRS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.