San Jose, CA asked in Business Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: Does my business qualify as a Youth Service Organization and do I need to be a Mandated reporter?

I provide music tutoring to mostly children/youth under 18. I'm not sure if I qualify as a Youth Service Organization, since I require parental or guardian supervision with my services. I'm not sure if what I do counts as supervision of children. I would like to know how the details of the law "AB-506 Youth service organizations: child abuse and neglect prevention" might apply to my business.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, "AB-506 Youth service organizations: child abuse and neglect prevention" applies to organizations that provide services directly to minors or have direct contact with them. If your music tutoring business primarily involves working with children under 18, it is likely that your business could be classified as a Youth Service Organization.

The law requires that employees and administrators of such organizations undergo training in child abuse and neglect identification and reporting. As a music tutor working directly with minors, you would generally be considered a mandated reporter. This means you are legally obligated to report any suspected cases of child abuse or neglect that you become aware of in your professional capacity.

Even if parental supervision is required during your sessions, your role still involves direct contact with children, which typically necessitates adherence to the mandated reporter requirements. It's important to familiarize yourself with the specifics of these requirements and ensure that your business is in compliance with state laws.

Considering the responsibilities and legal implications of being a mandated reporter, you may want to consult with a legal professional to ensure that your business operations align with the requirements of AB-506 and other relevant laws. They can provide tailored advice and help you understand your obligations to safeguard the well-being of the children you teach.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.