Honolulu, HI asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Small Claims and Civil Litigation for Hawaii

Q: I was apart of this class action lawsuit and did everything asked yet never received any settlement or even a response

I'm wondering what I should do because I honestly feel let down once again basically by the DOE who really didn't give me the education I deserved or could have gotten and now the state of Hawaii although technically we won, it feels like I'm yet again getting a high school certificate instead of diploma to just get me out of their hair. I've tried contacting the team before and after the deadline being told to wait and I did for a 3 months and when asked for an update didn't get a response, called just to get a answering machine and no call back. I've noticed there have been court dates regarding the attorney fees/payments this year. So I'm wondering if its possible to bring up my unsettled settlement and I'm sure many more since lawyers felt underpaid which sounds like they gave up working the case hence getting no response

Incase the case wasn't tagged it's the class action lawsuit E.R.K VS. department of education, Honolulu Hawaii

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a situation where you were part of a class action lawsuit and have not received any settlement or response, your first step should be to contact the law firm that represented the class in the lawsuit. Ensure that they have your current contact information and inquire about the status of the settlement distribution. It's important to confirm that you completed all necessary paperwork and complied with any deadlines set forth in the settlement agreement.

If you have already attempted to contact the legal team handling the case without success, consider reaching out to the court where the lawsuit was filed. The court's clerk may provide information on the status of the settlement distribution and any relevant court dates.

If you still do not receive a satisfactory response or if you believe there has been mismanagement in the handling of the settlement, you may need to seek independent legal advice. An attorney can help you understand your rights as a class member and guide you on the best course of action, which may include legal recourse to claim your portion of the settlement.

Remember, as a member of a class action lawsuit, you are entitled to clear communication regarding the settlement and your share in it. It's important to be persistent and take the necessary steps to protect your interests.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.